Monday, July 1, 2013

28 days

I have 28 days left here in Zambia. In exactly four weeks from today,  I will be boarding a plane that will take me back to the other side of the world. The time has flown by (no pun intended) and I can't believe the two months I had so long anticipated are already halfway up. The five weeks that I've experienced so far have been nothing short of challenging, surprising, and fulfilling. There have been a number of bumps along the way, but those bumps have only increased the glory of our God in the end.

Cynthia, the wife to one of the FLMI staffers, has taken on the role of "summer mama" during my time here. Since January, her blog has consisted of the Joy Dare, or an ongoing list of different "joys" that she writes about. Although I don't regularly blog apart from my time here, and I can't commit to taking on the full Joy Dare, this post will consist of a few joys, people, and things that I am thankful for this far during my first 5 weeks here.

10. Viber
Viber is a free app for the iPhone, iPad, etc... that you can use to text or call family internationally for free. I have gotten to talk to my family and friends back home more than ever before because of this app! It really has allowed me to communicate with my loved ones so much more than in the past while I'm here!

9. Zambia's Winter Months
Although Texas is undergoing another 100 degree summer, Zambia is experiencing their winter months. This is one of the best perks of spending two months in Zambia - not only am I avoiding the hottest time of year in Texas, but the Zambian winter weather is a 70's and 80's during the day, 40's and 50's at night. Absolutely perfect.

8. Bekah Taylor
Bekah was on summer staff with me for the first half and she was an absolute God-send. She was one of the best roommates I could have asked for and the Lord used her so much in my life first half! Bekah helped keep me grounded when my stress was getting the best of me, and she always had an encouraging word for me! Thankful for her friendship and sorely missing her as she's back in the states!
























7. Sugar Bush
I probably talked about Sugar Bush last year, but this is the absolute cutest little place in all of Lusaka. Sugar Bush is this open-air cafe complete with a playground, garden, horses and boutique. It has a super-relaxed vibe and the food is absolutely delicious. We got to go there on Sunday for brunch, and it was such a nice, relaxing way to start break week!

6. Lice Shampoo
Yes, I am so very thankful for lice shampoo. Lice in Africa is quite an experience.. not one that I want to relive. That's all.

5. My Camera
My camera has been such a blessing. I love love love photos and getting to relive memories, so being able to capture those memories through a good camera has made it all possible. Thank you Jesus for photography.

4. My First Half Summer Staff
I love these crazy people. My first half summer staff was made up of wonderful, hard-working, orphan-loving people, and they all helped make the first half of Camp LIFE 2013 a success. There are some incredibly generous, genuine hearts among these people, and it was a blessing to get to serve the orphan alongside them.

















3. Lifeway Christian Academies
Family Legacy began building schools in the compounds that we work with so that our sponsored kids could begin to receive a quality education. These schools are called Lifeway Christian Academies. The education team that lives over here full time is phenomenal and has done a great job choosing teachers that love Jesus and love these kids. These schools really have done an incredible job in educating our kiddos over here. It is amazing to see the difference at camp.. our LCA students have incredible English skills even after just one year of attending school there. Our students have some of the highest marks in the entire nation on national standardized tests. It is beautiful to watch an orphan's untapped potential become discovered and inspired. These kids are going to change Zambia one day, and I have been blessed to get to watch the beginning stages of this transformation.

2. My Dad
What a stinker. My dad has been coming to Zambia as long as I have. This was his fifth year to do Camp LIFE, and he is more passionate about these kids than ever. Experiencing Zambia with my dad has been one of the biggest blessings I could have ever asked for; it has brought us closer and this has always been something we've shared together. Furthermore, my dad is a different person here. There is something about sticking my dad in Zambia around thousands of orphans that changes who he is and how he acts. I am so thankful that God saw it fit to put Zambia in my relationship with my dad. It has truly bettered our relationship and it is something that we will share together forever.

















1. Random (not so random) Slum Kids
I love going out into the communities without a group to evangelize with. I get to meet the most precious kids on the streets that aren't a part of the week of Camp LIFE. On community day, we drop our Americans off at a central location, tell them to go and evangelize with their groups for a couple of hours, and meet back at the location for lunch. I stay behind for safety purposes and to get lunch ready. Without fail, there are ALWAYS random kids that have nothing to do that day (or any other day) and congregate around that location because there is a muzungu (white person) there. I get to love on these kids and hug them and play soccer with them while I wait on the Americans to return. I don't know anything about these kids or how much love they actually receive at home, I don't know their stories, but I know that God puts them there at arms length to be loved on for a reason. It is the purest joy I have ever felt when I get to love these kids freely and without inhibition. So thank you, God, for hand-picking the compound kiddos that I come into contact with.


No comments:

Post a Comment