Thursday, July 11, 2013

update: on the home stretch


Well, I don’t really know what this post is going to look like, so I guess I’ll just start by updating the world on how Camp LIFE 2013 is currently doing and what I’ve been up to since my last post!

We celebrated the Fourth of July last week... Zambia style! It was the best Fourth of July I’ve had in Zambia so far (I’ve been here 3 of the past 4 years for it)! With full time staff, summer staff, and other participants, there were around 40 of us here for the holiday. We grilled up like, 4 kinds of meat, had potato salad, sang America the Beautiful, and even had our own personal fireworks show! It was such a fun way to welcome in the second half of camp!

The second half summer staff arrived exactly a week ago (got to celebrate the Fourth with them) and they have been AMAZING! We are only three days into the second half of camp, but they have already proven themselves to be extremely willing, humble, hardworking people. A highlight of the week (so far) was an impromptu worship session with most of the summer staff. After dinner, we all gathered around a guitar and got to share worship, scripture, and prayers together. Despite knowing most of these people for only a few days, it was the most raw example of genuine community that I have felt since I arrived in Zambia... it really was so refreshing to my soul and it was exactly what I needed. So, thank you, Jesus, for the beautiful hearts that you’ve given to these brothers and sisters that I get to serve alongside. 

We are approaching the end of week 5 here.. CRAZY! I cannot begin to try to tell you where my time in Zambia has gone so fast, but it has been slipping through my fingers. In a blink, I have been transported from walking through the security check in the DFW airport to this moment in time, 6 and a half weeks later. God has been subtly working in my heart and teaching me things here and there, showing me how to continually submit my attitude and heart to Him. My prayer this week is that God would soften my heart again to this ministry and these people and these kids. I have been convicted lately that I am simply going through the motions because this role has become so second nature to me. But I don’t want to just go through the motions. I want to be set on fire again for Jesus and for the freedom that His death is bringing to the kids here. I want God to reignite the passion that He has put in my heart for this nation and for the glory of His name here. I have two more weeks left, and I want them to be full of the Holy Spirit moving in me and through me. I don’t want to become complacent, nor do I want to be unmoved by what God is doing here. 

I am missing you dearly, family and friends! Be praying for me as I’m on the home stretch here, that I would be all in and not burned out in my final two weeks. Pray that I would continue to appreciate beautiful transformations that are happening every day and not become desensitized to them. I am praying for you, loved ones! 

No comments:

Post a Comment